Day 4 Larapinta: Rocky Gully to Ellery Creek

Last night I almost spent sleeping on the dirt somewhere. The toilets are some distance away from the camp site. I got out of the toilets and it was pitch black. I could not see the track to the tents. My Petzel head torch provide little more than a firefly flicker against the grey. A short distance, the tents, but no tents.
dirt track.
Mike! Mike ! Mike !!! What ? Turn on your light !  Mike's head torch has enough power to strobe a thousand lighthouses and so when he responded to my pleading calls , he saved the sailor from his impending doom.

Over the years we learn on these each of these trips.  When I got home, I bought a new AyUp outdoors kit - never shall this be my plight again. My gear is much lighter with tents and backpacks losing a few kilos and having the correct amount of food and clothing. GPS helps with navigation (as does a good map), EPIRB for that serious rescue mission and careful planning building in exit routes, rest days and so on.

Mike was not in good shape. His knee was causing him great pain. Nurofen (IB Profen), saved my knees many years ago on the Great Tassie ride is now called upon for a new rescue mission.  We withdraw from our walk early: Ellery Creek is the terminus rather than Mt Sonder.

Rethink... A few days rest without pack load. Alice Springs, Palm Springs, Uluru, Kata Djuta, Kings Canyon and back on track at Ormiston Gorge.  I am not dismayed at our exit, we have reconfigured our trip with places I have never seen and I am excited.

Trying not to be distracted by the distance to the stop and what steps to take in the event Mike can't make it, I marvelled at the curiosities along the way. Paddy melons for instance: they look edible, but are toxic, introduced to Australia - what for ?

paddy melons.
We get a reminder of the harshness of nature, and the humour of passers by with artistic presentations of skeletal remains.
skeleton.
The entry to Ellery Creek involves a departure from the plateau up and over a small ridge.
steep slope.
Woohoo - what a view, and relief for Mike, who was just managing with his inflamed knee on its exit. The creek plays its part: a swim is in order and we really do need a wash.  The thought was there but implementation: our swim was more of a dunking. By gee, gosh it was cold !
Ellery creek.
Can we have a lift back to Alice ? Sorry, the coach was full. There are 3 other vehicles at the parking area, so we cross our fingers and ask around.  Someone had room for both of us, you beauty ! Today we drew first prize in the lottery of luck and were on our way back.
Ellery creek car park.

Blog References

Comments